Texting may not be spooky like ghosts and goblins, but it sure can be thrilling. Sending a text message to the wrong person, mistakenly auto-correcting words that should have never been “fixed”… we’ve all been there and have shared those gasps in horror before. In honor of Halloween, here’s a list of funny, embarrassing and unfortunate texting horror stories of everyday people. This post is meant to be all in good fun, and it’s okay to laugh. Have a story of your own? Tell us!
1. “I was trying to text my girlfriend, and I accidentally sent a message to a contractor that’s working on my house saying, ‘Can’t wait to see you tonight, love.’ He’s a pretty laid-back guy, but it was embarrassing when I saw that he replied, ‘That will be an extra $60.’”
2. “My sister was seeing a guy in high school. One day he lost his phone and needed to get in touch with her, so while we were on a bus to a wrestling match he asked me for my sister’s number. Everyone in my family has very similar numbers (360-9070-18XX). Long story short, I accidentally gave the kid my mom’s number. My mother was very displeased with the message she received, and to discover my sister was dating.”
3. “My mom, who isn’t very tech savvy, often uses the wrong emoji to express emotion. The other day I sent her a text saying that I was sick and her response was the ‘laughing-so-hard-I’m-crying’ emoji instead of just the sad emoji.”
4. “My dad is obsessed with using his bitmoji character. We were supposed to meet up at the airport for a family trip, and he sent me an image of his bitmoji on a magic carpet with the caption ‘see you there’ and bedroom eyes. He didn’t realize that that particular bitmoji had a more sexual connotation than what he intended.”
5. I texted my wife from work to let her know that I was about to head home for the day. She was pregnant at the time and I accidentally texted her, ‘I’m leaving you,’ instead of, ‘I’m leaving now.’ Worst auto-correct fail ever.”
6. “For months my mom would repeatedly ask me if I saw her emails. I’d say ‘no’ because there was nothing in my inbox from her, and she would get really frustrated. It took me forever to realize that she meant to ask if I had seen her text messages that had been sent to my phone. We spent months arguing about a problem that wasn’t even real!”
7. “I was giving my sister directions to the hospital where I was going to deliver my baby. I meant to say, ‘I hope you get here before the baby does!” but my phone auto-corrected ‘does’ to ‘dies.’ I gave my sister quite the scare, but thankfully she made it in time and I delivered a healthy baby boy that day.”